For pumping applications located in potentially explosive atmospheres, Cat Pumps offers a complete line of pumps that meet the ATEX 2 directive for such environments. Pump compliance to the ATEX directives is common in industries such as petrochemical, chemical, oil & gas, and bio-fuels.
Under the appropriate ATEX directive, equipment is designated by group, category and zone. Cat Pumps has been certified as ATEX 2 compliant, which also covers the ATEX 3 requirements.
All Cat Pump models (excluding gearbox driven) in the following frame sizes are compliant with the ATEX directive for Group 2, Category 2 and Zones 1 and 2 (Group 2 includes Zone G) :
- 18 FR
- 25 FR
- 28 FR
- 35 FR
- 38 FR
- 60 FR
- 68 FR
- Group 2 identifies equipment used in hazardous explosive atmospheres other than mining.
- Category 2 defines the level of protection required. Equipment in this category is intended for use in areas in which explosive atmospheres caused by gases, vapors, mists, or air/dust mixtures are likely to occur.
- Category 3 is equipment intended for use in areas in which explosive atmospheres caused by gases, vapors, mists or air/dust mixtures are unlikely to occur or, if they do occur, are likely to do so only infrequently and for a short period only.
- Zone 1 is a place in which an explosive atmosphere consisting of a mixture with air of dangerous substances in the form of gas, vapor or mist is likely to occur in normal operation occasionally.
- Zone 2 is an area in which an explosive mixture is not likely to occur in normal operation and if it occurs it will exist only for a short time
Cat Pumps ATEX certified high-pressure pumps are specially labeled and are supplied with a signed ATEX Declaration of Conformity. ATEX certified pumps are numbered with “.ATEX2” suffix added to the standard pump model number.